Sunday, January 17, 2010

Being Present

It is hard for me to imagine that Ive been all over this country in 3 weeks. Time has flown by, and Im not wanting to leave. I was just getting used to the culture, the language, and all the contrasts of here and there. I feel at ease and much calmer being here without the pressure of having do be in a state of constant doing. I can be who and what I want to be without the fear of whether I am doing enough, working enough, making enough money, etc. It is sometimes as if time just stops here and the busyness, the hustle and bustle of American life fades away, and all you have is to choose what you will do with the time you have. That is what is should all be about right? Being present to this moment and being in it wholly, completely, without force or manipulation. I have felt that I am enjoying and living every moment much more consciously here as I dont have all the distractions of life at home to take me from myself so easily. I am sometimes appreciating the curiosity and interaction from Eygptians as it is a way for me to connect as well, even if through body language. The weather has been so beautiful, windows open, prayers singing, and me sitting on this fold out couch sipping my nescafe coffee. It is so funny to me that every country I have every been in, Nescafe is usually a really big deal. Forget Starbucks...Nescafe and Lipton tea are staples all over the world. I had the chance to visit the Egyptian Museum, which is definitely a must see here. Luckily, I had seen much of it on my travels through Aswan and Luxor in the Valley of the Kings, Queens, and Abu Simbel near the Sudan border. The royal mummies were spectacular, just as I had expected, and the room was quite somber. There was a note on the wall asking that people be quiet in the room, tour guides not allowed in, out of respect for the dead. The 4,000 year old jewelry was in tact, looked brand new as though it was just being worn today....Tutankhamun's burial regalia and jewelry was fascinating....gold, gold, gold and so much beauty. They knew how to celebrate their dead and their life....and the afterlife. With the exception of me paying 160 Egyptian pounds (about 30 US dollars) vs. Eslam's 6 Egyptian pounds(1 US dollar) for the entire museum and mummy tour, it was fabulous to see it all. In a few days I will finally get to the pyramids and to seat myself on a camel.....lol.

On our journey through Luxor, we visited the Valleys of the Kings and Queens, and were able to go into the tombs of many Pharaohs and Queens. We werent allowed of course to photograph anything inside so I have no photos of the Valleys. I will soon post more photos on Facebook so that they are available entirely.

I am learning more arabic everyday, although it doesnt stick in my memory as easily as Russian did so far. The last week I have been in Cairo Ive been enjoying my down time, seeing the city, eating amazing Lebanese and Egyptian food for very reasonable prices, tried smoking some sheesha which was an interesting and sweet experience, and just taking everything in before I return home in 7 days. I am grateful to have seen most of this beautiful country and all its different places. Each place has given me a different insight into the people and this culture.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful adventure with us!!! I am soooooo proud of you, Savanna! What a brilliant light you are!
    Blessings,
    Lattina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savanna,

    Great to read you adventures! I'm bummed for you that you have to come home in less than a week. But, we're all very excited to hear the tales first hand. Give me a call when you get back and have had a chance to decompress!

    Thanks,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for continuing to share about your journeys. It's such a treat to see you traveling and enjoying the world. :)

    ReplyDelete